Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Recommendations for hernbs under 24hr fluorescent light

On 11 May 2003 17:01:42 -0700,
(Michelle) wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to gardening, however, I would
now like to learn. I live in a tower block so I have a box in which to
grow plants outside my door which is under 24 hour fluorescent light
(almost no natural light). I would like to know if there are any easy
and hardy herbs which may grow under these conditions? I will be using
ordinary planting compost, could anyone offer any tips or advice on
how to make this herb box a success?

I don't think it will work. If you mean 'fluorescent
lights' in the ceiling - as you'd typically find in an
apartment building (tower block) hallway - it probably won't
work.

You'd do better to bring the box inside your apartment, and
get fluorescent lights (suspended on chains) that are
adjustable, and can be lowered to just a couple of inches
above the plants. We put up shelves in the living room, and
our fluorescent lights (for seed starting) are suspended
from the shelves.

As to herbs growing indoors, I've grown rosemary indoors -
my rosemary plant is four years old now, it goes outside in
summer and comes into the house in winter. I know there are
many other herbs that can be grown indoors, but I haven't
personally done it so I'll let someone else answer that
part.

Pat