Old 12-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Fig Tree - C'mon, people - help!

The message
from Bigjon contains these words:

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi