Old 12-05-2003, 02:26 PM
MC Emily

Default How do I grow a tree from a branch?

OK, at the lack of any further guidance, I've just cut this 'branch' off as
low as I could and put it in a pot of compost. I put some little stones in
the bottom so it doesn't get waterlogged. I've also cut the tips off the
top - there are about 5 or 6 growing points - so that they're not sapping
all the energy, so hopefully the energy will go into root formation. I've
put the pot close to the original tree so that the situation for it is the
same but I've given it some shelter from the afternoon sun (ha-ha!!). It
will get some sun in the morning up to dinnertime but I thought it would do
better without getting too hot. How long will it take before it roots and I
can put it in the ground?

Jaqy

MC Emily wrote:
Hi

I have a Cherry tree with a branch (about 12" long) below the graft.
If I cut it off, how do I get it to grow into a tree? Does it need
rooting hormone or something? Do I do it indoors or outdoors? Is it
the wrong time of year? I'm not sure what to do with it but I hate
letting things die and have plenty of room for new trees, so I'd like
to grow it on. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Jaqy