Old 12-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Tegan

Default Q: how to take care of dog urinating spots on our lawn?

zhanataya wrote :
Is there anything I can do to counter this? Thanks.

I hope someone does respond with an actual solution - it may be,
depending on where you are, that there is a variety of grass suitable
for your area that is tolerant of the ureic acid that is the culprit,
here. Ureic acid, as excreted by your dog, is very strong. In a much
weaker form, it would act like a fertilizer (thus, conversely,
over-applied fertilizer will burn). The idea of watering heavily
immediately would actually help a lot, if it were practical. Which it
sure isn't in my case - no way I'm traipsing around the yard with a
hose, waiting for my dog to *finally* decide to pee.

So, having a "litter box" - an area designated for the dog to use -
would also make sense, if your dog is amenable to that. One hazard of
trying that is, you risk having a dog who's neurotic about where she
pees. NOT a happy result - there'd be no telling where she might wind
up believing is the best alternative if she's not at home with access
to her "litter box".

We have just accepted that this is part of having a dog - thin/bare
spots on the lawn (which tend to fill in with weeds). We do our best
to keep the lawn happy in general - mild fertilizer twice a year, cut
it often and not too short, and we always have a bag of seed
available, are always re-seeding the bare bits.

As I said, I do hope someone has something concrete (hey! There's a
thought - or not) to offer, but when last I researched this, nothing
was available.