Old 12-05-2003, 03:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Recommendations for hernbs under 24hr fluorescent light

(Michelle) wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to gardening, however, I would
now like to learn. I live in a tower block so I have a box in which to
grow plants outside my door which is under 24 hour fluorescent light
(almost no natural light). I would like to know if there are any easy
and hardy herbs which may grow under these conditions? I will be using
ordinary planting compost, could anyone offer any tips or advice on
how to make this herb box a success?

Like the previous poster suggested a setup inside is better. The
intensity (closeness) of the flourescent is very important. Most cite
that the lights should be 3-6" away from the plants, max!

I'm a beginner as well. I used a sunny windowsill to grow parsley,
chives, oregano and thyme. I've had them over three months now and all
are doing well. I've recently gotten a grow-light setup since I think
the window sill didn't give them enough light in the early weeks.

One tip that worked really well for me--soak the seeds for 12 hours
before planting. I just planted about 120 seeds in the garden and
instead of the usually 7-21 days to germinate, I had a lot of sprouts
in just 4 days.

Makes sure you use a soil mix that is light or made for container
growing. Topsoil and other mixes for outside are heavier and not as
suitable for containers.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)