Old 12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Theo Asir

Default Fertilizing

I know all the rose 'guides' say feed 'em
every month w/ osmocote or what ever
latest drug is in fashion.

I'd like to make a case for the opposite.
I do not use any chemical ferts.

The only thing I feed 'em is Fish emulsion.

Table spoon in a Gallon every month.
So much easier than moving mulch, scratching
earth, etc.

Recently I've cheated a bit. I add Mills 'magic' Mix
to couple of roses. Havn't seen any perceptible difference.

Most of my roses are just weighed down w/ blooms & buds
right now.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Unique Too" wrote in message
We are having a discussion at Gardenweb in the Roses forum about
fertilizing.

Someone quoted Johnny Becnel (SP!) as saying most of us overferilize.
He apparently feeds a nine-month slow release and lets the roses rely
on mulch breakdown aside from that and a single application of
organics early in the season.

Thoughts?

Several thoughts on this:

Most nine month fertilizer doesn't last 9 months in warm climates. It is
designed for soil at a specific temerature, too cool and it feeds more

slowly,
to warm and it breaks down very quickly. In the summer it will only last

about
three months in my soil. Bethal Farms does produce a slow-release made

for
warmer soils that may work better, but you have to look for it. Most

people
buy the Osmocote and it does not last here.

It has been my experience that better fed roses are more disease

resistant.
I've found a regular monthly application of fertilizer does as much to

prevent
blackspot as weekly spraying. The combination of fertilizer and spray is

the
only way I can keep BS somewhat under control on the HTs. In easier

climates
there may not be as significant difference, but it does help here.

I don't use only synthetic fertilizer, but try to rotate the applications

just
like I do fungicides. One month they get a synthetic, the next something
organic. This way I feel I'm feeding the soil as well as the roses.

My 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary.

Julie