Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana

Default Rhododendron & Azaleas - why not?

"Plato" wrote in message
We are in the process of soliciting bids/designs to replace the
builder supplied landscaping in our house with something a bit nicer.
Our house is about a year old and resides in Northern Virginia.

Our current landscaping consists of a row of Uwanamous (not sure how
this is supposed to be spelled) plants against the house, with
azaleas in front, and some junipers around our light post. Also a
couple of holly's are thrown in. The builder also strategicaly placed
a cherry tree so in ten years it will block the front of our house.

So far all the bids that we have received thus far recommend that we
remove the Azaleas that the builder installed (along with everything
else). I'm not sure what type they are, but they have red flowers
that are currently in bloom. None of the bids call for using
Rhododendrons (which many of our neighbors have used to replaced the
uwanamous plants.)

So, my wife, being a fan of Azaleas, wants to know why none of the
landscapers want to keep them, and why absolutely none of the three
designs we have received thus far call for using any type of azalea or
rhododendron (which she also likes).

What do I tell her?

When we hired a landscape designer we were presented with a very long
questionnaire to fill out. We were asked to list pants we liked and
disliked, color preferences, the degree of formality desired, intended
functions of the space and so on. There were a couple of site visits and
then a presentation. It sounds like you are getting a landscape designed
purely based on the likes of the designer. On one hand you can't expect the
designer to read your mind, but then one also has to ask why your input was
not solicited.

It would be interesting to hear what the designers suggested. If it makes
you feel better, my landscapers installed a dozen azaleas. I took out half
of them after 4 years, and this year only one of the remaining azaleas looks
healthy.