Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Darryl Okahata

Default Least-harmful pesticides??? [ Was: pill bugs ]

"Norma Briggs" writes:

That is what I am trying to figure out, my sage and basil have circular
nibbles right out of the middle of the leaves, and something ate my dill
down to the stem...grrr. However, the parsley, cilantro and chives have not
been touched to date. Its a small memorial garden for my son so they are all

On a related note, assuming the problem is not slugs, can anyone
recommend some minimally-harmful pesticides, probably for earwigs? I
planted some lettuce, basil, and pak choy, and all of the seedlings are
dying the death of 10,000 nibbles. Within a week or two, I don't think
I'll have any seedlings left. I'm guessing that the problem is earwigs,
as they seem to be pretty prevalent around here. I've tried neem, but
that doesn't seem to be working. Someone recommended a tuna can with
vegetable oil and soy sauce as a trap; does that actually work?

Thanks!

--
Darryl Okahata