Old 12-05-2003, 05:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Default Rhododendron & Azaleas - why not?

Did you mention to the designers how much you like azalea? If they are a
terribly common variety, it could be that the designers want to put
something in a bit more special.

I love azaleas, there are literally thousands of evergreen and deciduous
varieties that work very well in our Zone. The Glen Dale Hybrids are
especially suited to our zone, but also Exbury, Girard, Kurume, Robin Hill,
Satsuki, and our very lovely native species love it here.

Speaking as a designer, I'm somewhat mystified why none of the designers
bothered to ask you what you liked (if anything) about your plantings, or
solicited endorsements for any trees or shrubs you guys are fond of.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

"Plato" wrote in message
We are in the process of soliciting bids/designs to replace the
builder supplied landscaping in our house with something a bit nicer.
Our house is about a year old and resides in Northern Virginia.

Our current landscaping consists of a row of Uwanamous (not sure how
this is supposed to be spelled) plants against the house, with
azaleas in front, and some junipers around our light post. Also a
couple of holly's are thrown in. The builder also strategicaly placed
a cherry tree so in ten years it will block the front of our house.

So far all the bids that we have received thus far recommend that we
remove the Azaleas that the builder installed (along with everything
else). I'm not sure what type they are, but they have red flowers
that are currently in bloom. None of the bids call for using
Rhododendrons (which many of our neighbors have used to replaced the
uwanamous plants.)

So, my wife, being a fan of Azaleas, wants to know why none of the
landscapers want to keep them, and why absolutely none of the three
designs we have received thus far call for using any type of azalea or
rhododendron (which she also likes).

What do I tell her?

-----
"Enlighten Your Mind - So Says Plato"