Old 12-05-2003, 05:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Default rhododendron in lime soil

Usually chlorosis is seen first, that is yellowing of the leaf while the
veinery remains green. You should consider acidifying the surrounding soil.
You can use aluminum or iron sulphate, cottonseed meal, coffee grounds, etc.

Dave

"kamm" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I planted a rhododendron (dwarf rhododendron "baden-baden") in the
alkaline limey soil in my garden, before realising that these plants
hate lime. It was planted about 6 weeks ago and so far it is doing
fine. It had two flowers when I planted it, which have now fallen,
and although it has had no new flowers, it has loads of new shoots
growing. My question is - is it possible that the plant will do okay
here, or is it just a matter of time until the roots find the
surrounding alkaline soil and it starts to die off? should i move it,
or wait and see what happens. And what is the first sign of bad
health in this case... yellowing leaves? Any help appreciated,
Thanks
kamm