Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Truffles

On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:50:40 +0100, "Sir Nigel Dandruff"
wrote:

I would like to collect truffles I have been told the best places to look is
near dead oak trees,would I also need to train a pig or dog to sniff them
out? I know they use truffle pigs in France & truffle dogs in Italy

Truffle: tuber melanosporum. Not found in the UK according to my fungi
book, although other members of the truffle family are, but they're
not so good to eat or so highly prized. They're rare even on the
Continent, as the price of GBP1000/kilo would suggest.

There was an item on growing truffles on local SW TV a day or two ago.
Apparently someone is planing to start a truffle farm in the SW
(Devon/Dorset?). They showed a lab full of oak seedlings, each of
which had been inoculated with the truffle fungus. They also need
chalky soil, apparently.

--
Chris