Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

Default re potting Azalea

On Sun, 11 May 2003 15:29 +0100 (BST), (Evelyn
Usher) wrote:

Hi there,

I am a relative newcomer to gardening.

I want to re pot two Azaleas into one half barrel container. Do I have to buy the peat
based compost? I already have two bags of supermarket potting compost.

You will need an ericaceous compost, as azaleas need an acid compost
and don't like lime. Many composts contain peat, but that doesn't
guarantee they're acid, as many contain added chalk or lime to make
them neutral or slightly alkaline. Your supermarket potting compost
probably won't do, unless it specifically says it's suitable for lime
hating plants such as azaleas, heathers and rhododendrons.

--
Chris