Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Sarah Dale

Default How do I grow a tree from a branch?

On Mon, 12 May 2003 13:06:54 +0100, MC Emily wrote:
OK, at the lack of any further guidance, I've just cut this 'branch' off as
low as I could and put it in a pot of compost. I put some little stones in
the bottom so it doesn't get waterlogged. I've also cut the tips off the
top - there are about 5 or 6 growing points - so that they're not sapping

Hi Emily,

Keep that compost moist all the time. The branchlet will need to drink a
lot of water whilst the roots are growing in. Cherry's are tough old
things, I'd put the pot somewhere convenient rather than next to the tree
it came off!

It's going to take a while for the roots to grow, if they do at all. Make
sure you have removed all except the top 2 or 3 leaves. You may also want
to shorten your cutting to just below a convenient bud - a shorter
cutting, i.e. one closer to the younger new flesh at the tip of the
branch might take more easily.

HTH, Sarah