Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Ophelia

Default nettles, OT maybe

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

It's not very rapid, so chunky things like meat or nourishing cabbage
stalks have to be sliced and laid out so they don't contact each-other
in overlap mode.

This worries me a wee bit. If you are dehydrating meat very slowly in a
warm enviroment you could end up poisioned.

Which is why the slices have to be thin. Once drying has begun it gets
increasigly difficult for bacteria to grow.

If the temperature is too cool it dries more slowly and gives them a
better chance to get noshing.

If you want to try it and are worried, it might be a good idea to start
the drying process by exposing them meat in a deep freeze. It doesn't
rehydrate well anyway, and I use it - well, used to use it - ground up
and added to stews etc.

Tony I aske about this in the preserving site this is the reply I received

Has anyone heard of this before??

Yes. From a former neighbor of mine who characterized it as an expensive
and tedious way to spoil meat.