Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 PM
dt

Default planting mulberry

"James Moseley" wrote in message
"kn125" wrote in message
om...
I have a tree growing very close to my house, a neighbour identified
it as a mulberry and said he wouldnt recommend replanting the tree (it
now about 4-5 feet tall and the roots have gone 2-3 ft deep). He said
it attracts lots of bugs. I have some space in my backyard and was
thinking of replanting this tree there. Has anybody had bad/good
experiences with mulberries? Also is it native to this area?

Mulberry trees are native to Texas. There are also several non-native
varieties many of which do not produce fruit. The main problems with
Mulberries are they produce alot of messy fallen fruit (simply dropped

from
the branches or by feeding birds) and attract all sorts of caterpillars

and
worms which might make their way to other trees. However, if you are an
avid bird watcher, they do attract many types of birds such as orioles and
other migratory species.

Seems to attract more grackles than anything else.

And if the dropped/fallen fruit isn't bad enough, wait'll you see the purple
bird poop! All over the roof, the sidewalk, the car.....

Dale