Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
ned

Default Honey bees nesting in garden

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"s guy" writes:
It seems like we have some honey bees nesting in our garden. They
have made a little hole in the soil and are going in and out quite
frequently. Are they OK to keep where they are as we have 2 small
children

Firstly, they are probably bumble bees, miner bees or whatever.
Honey bees rarely nest in the ground.

Secondly, even a hive of honey bees is a very low risk, and one
of the type you have is a negligible one. They won't sting unless
you squeeze them and rarely occur more than singly.

Can I be pedantic? Oh, go on. :-)
Mason and mining bees are usually solitary.
Bumble bees live in small colonies of a 100 or so.
If 's-guy's bees "are going in and out quite frequently", that would
suggest that there is probably more than one bee involved. I would
cast a vote for bumble bees (of which there are several species).
Their non-aggression is agreed.

--
ned