Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Victor Meldrew

Default Horsetails and Roundup

In article , Jon
rubbish-----@?.? writes
I've got a problem with this as well. Last year I drenched it repeatedly
with SBK, Weedol, glyphosate, sodium chlorate, and household bleach.
This year it's back but not quite as bad :-)

Yes SBK is the only thing I've had any success with. As someone else
said, use the rubber glove method. I didn't eradicate it completely but
it's now just a case of constantly pulling out any that dare put their
heads above ground. It is renowned for surviving deep down whatever
treatment you throw at it. After SBK'ing it on a rockery slope, I
planted some Persicaria 'Dharjeeling Red' which has spread like wildfire
and seems to have outcompeted the mare's tail. What a great value plant
it is too - profuse gorgeous red bottle-brush flowers from May to
October.
--
Paul Flackett

Remove _bra to reply by e-mail.