Old 13-05-2003, 12:20 AM
PRHD

Default Ash tree

I have a dumb question...we have an ash tree that hangs over our deck. Every
year at this time, the deck is covered in coffee ground looking stuff falling
from the tree. At the same time, there are at least a billion little green
caterpillars/worms munching away at the leaves. I think the coffee ground stuff
is caterpillar poop...hubby thinks it's from the tree itself, and that's why
they call it an ash tree. (either that or he just told me that to keep me from
being disgusted about caterpillar poop)
so, can anyone tell me, do ash trees drop some sort of "ash" ? or am I right in
my caterpillar theory?

another question....how do you rid the tree of the things? it's a mature tree,
was here when we bought the house, so all I know is it's an ash and it's big.
I figured the only way to get rid of them is to spray with something...but how
do you spray a tree that big? or is it a lost cause and we just have to deal
with the squirmers every year?

pam