Old 13-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Chris

Default Raised Bed around Redwoods

The problem is that I need to build some sort of dividing area between
the patio and the wall on the other side of the trees. A 18-24" wall
would be perfect and then I could also cap it with some sort of stone
so it doubles as another area to sit on. My backyard is small as it
is a new house so I need to take advantage of as much space as
possible. If I build some sort of box around the trunks to keep the
dirt away from the trunks and keep it clean, should it be ok?

Thanks,
Chris

"NewsUser" wrote in message ...
Backfilling with 18-24" of soil would surely damage your trees. Why don't
you just try planting things that will thrive in the exisiting soil under
the trees. I've got a little island of redwoods where ferns, trillium,
vanilla leaf, Soloman's seal, ginger, hosta, violas, lamium, epimedium,
Vancouveria, huckleberry, vine maple and other shade tolerant plants are
growing. It's my own little forest.