Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Jackytar

Default string algae & fry/tadpoles?

Is "string algae" that green carpet that clings onto my river bed? I
wondered why it wasn't in the pond... the fish eat it, eh? Should I be
concerned about the green carpet? My water is clear. A neighbor told me
take it out, which I did. Now a week later... it's back! The previous owner
of the house left me a box of pond care stuff, including a bottle of "algae
eliminator". The label sez to add one tsp for every 10 gallons and not to
use in ponds/fountains less than 1000 gallons that contain fish. I figure
that would take at least three whole bottles of the stuff. Seems a little
harsh on the ol' fishies. (No I didn't use it yet). We also have a large
fountain in the courtyard... I suspect she used the stuff in that. The label
also contains some large print to the effect "IT IS AGAINST FEDERAL
REGULATION TO USE THIS PRODUCT IN A MANNER FOR WHICH IT IS NOT INTENDED" or
something like that. This also gave me pause, thinking.... Will my fish get
high on this stuff? Can *I* get high on this stuff ?? (just kidding!!!!).

Jacky

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .
String algae will come on back if the conditions are right. You can

remove
large amounts of it. We remove about a soccer ball per week. More comes.
The main pond is totally clear of it wherever the koi can reach. Where

they
cannot, some grows. In the veggie filters, we get lots. Use it for
fertilizer. Nutrients out of your pond!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"K30a" wrote in message
Gail wrote Should I have left the string algae in for the baby
whatever-they-are?

The string algae maybe what was keeping the single cell algae (when the

water
looks green) at
bay. It uses up the nutrients available.
When folks raise fish for a living they want green water. Single cell

algae is
baby food for fish. Tadpoles tend to work on substrate algae (grows on
surfaces). Both will nibble on string algae when they get bigger.
Do you have a magnifying glass? You can scoop out the critters and look

at
them. A frog or toad tadpole will have a distinctive head and tail. A

rosie red
baby will be a single slender shape with larger eyes.

k30a