Old 13-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Henry

Default buds are starting to swell

Shiva wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:37:55 -0400, Henry wrote:

I currently have four roses
on the inside (Linda Campbell, Johann Strauss, Auguste Renoir, and
Barbara Bush)

Of these I have only seen Barbara Bush, which is such a good,
floriferous rose in a friend's garden that I am tempted to buy it,
even though it has no scent to my nose. How do you like it?

I should say that of those four, I like Linda Campbell (Moore, 1990) the
least. It's a pretty color (bright red) but has no scent and for a
rugosa is fairly susceptible to blackspot. It doesn't seem to be bad
enough to do any real harm but rugosas are usually so immune that it
seems bad by comparison. It also wants to be bigger than the space it
is in. Given a spot in the middle of a lawn and allowed to grow it
would be an impressive sight in full bloom. The individual flowers are
really not much to look at but it certainly makes a nice mass of red and
it blooms all summer long. This was the first rose I planted and if I
had it to do over, I'd probably get something else.

The other two were put in last summer (from Dr. Snell's nursery near Mt.
Airy, MD).

Johann Strauss (Meilland, 1994) is an interesting color, blush or light
salmon with yellower tones towards the center. Good fragrance. I'll
take a picture when it blooms. Our drought last summer hit this rose a
bit and it's starting the year smaller than it might have but it's
healthy enough and growing strongly.

Auguste Renoir (Meilland, 1993) is rosy pink and really profuse. It is
larger that JS and has a good number of buds. The fragrance from this
is stronger than JS, also. Both of these seem to be fairly resistant to
disease. I'm very happy with them and recommend them if you want those
colors.

AR replaced a Mr. Lincoln that never did all that well except to say
that it was seven feet tall. It was one or two canes with huge flowers
way up top. They are beautiful flowers but kind of hard to enjoy from
below. I moved it to the other end of the yard (the other area with
enough sun for roses) but it doesn't seem to have made it. I'm not
terribly upset about that, I guess.

--
Henry