Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Andy Clews

Default Runner bean grief

I live in a semi-rural area of the Sussex Weald.

I planted five runner beans in a tub on my patio last week. These were
young plants given to me by a friend and which had been started off in a
greenhouse. They'd spent a couple of days outdoors, in the shade, in their
seedling 'potlets' before I planted them in said tub, in the early evening
of Bank Holiday Monday last week. The tub is in a fairly exposed position
and receives essentially full sun.

On Tuesday evening, after what was a very bright sunny day, I noticed that
the plants each had some light-coloured patches on their leaves, which
looked like bleaching. It was even worse on Wednesday evening. By the
weekend, four of the five plants had completely collapsed and died, and the
fifth is only just hanging in there.

I'm not sure if the loss is due to chilly nights (as far as I know there
hasn't been any frost) or the strong sunlight. I thought beans were sun
lovers - would they be harmed by very strong sun?

Advice would be welcome!

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex Computing Service
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)