Old 13-05-2003, 01:56 PM
FDR

Default tomato's

"lisa" wrote in message
om...
"Jim" wrote in message

We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Cherry tomatoes are lovely in salads and great for eating off the
vine. I like the variety Sweet Million. It produced well for me last
year with lots of delicious, sweet, juicy bite-sized tomatoes.

Yeah, that's a keeper in my garden.

For cooking, I'm growing Vita Italia, a plum tomato variety that is
known for it's flavour and excellence in making sauces.

Another good tomato variety for cooking is Costoluto Fiorentino, an
italian heirloom, remarkable for its flavour apparently. This will be
my first year growing it. It is a large, meaty, delicious tomato,
good for cooking, I read.

I grew That variety last year and was unimpressed with the flavor, though
maybe it's better suited for cooking that raw eating. Also, maybe I had a
bad crop.