Old 13-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Eric Hunt

Default Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible

Mick,

So what's my colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible
prize?

=)

Here's Myrmecophilia tibicinis:

http://www.erichunt.com/images/orchids/OM/IMG0067.jpg

I believe one diagnostic characteristic of this species is the banana shaped
pseudobulbs. All of ours at OrchidMania (I believe we have three kicking
around in the warm greenhouse) are slightly to strongly curved/sickle
shaped.

-Eric in SF

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
Eric,

Bravo. I do believe you have have identified it correctly as

Myrmecophilia
exaltata. These flowers were on the end of 6 foot spikes and the ants

were
living in the hollowed out pseudobulbs as detailed in the genus

description.

Originally I thought it might be a Schomburgkia tibicinis but I was not
sure.

It was jungle collected many years ago from Guatemala so your ID sounds
good.

Thanks

Mick

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message