Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Pam Moore

Default Runner bean grief

On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:38:18 +0000 (UTC), Andy Clews
wrote:

They'd spent a couple of days outdoors, in the shade, in their
seedling 'potlets' before I planted them in said tub, in the early evening
of Bank Holiday Monday last week. The tub is in a fairly exposed position
and receives essentially full sun.

On Tuesday evening, after what was a very bright sunny day, I noticed that
the plants each had some light-coloured patches on their leaves, which
looked like bleaching. It was even worse on Wednesday evening.

I would say it was scorch. You had had them in the shade and then had
the bad luck to have strong sun on them on their first day in their
tub. They need acclimatising to sun as well as temperature. You are
not too late to sow some seeds directly into the tub and they will not
get that check.

Pam in Bristol