Old 13-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Cherokee Purple cages

On 13 May 2003 07:41:29 -0700,
(Funky_gallo) wrote:

Second year tomatoes gardner and wanting to avoid last year
mistakes... I'm going to plant 6 tomatoes plants in my raised bed,
last year I used stakes and it was a disaster, plants grew 6 feet and
up stakes weren't enough to support the branch so this year I want to
first of all do some buds snipping then have cages instead of stakes,
here my question what kind of wire (what size and height) should I
use? Is concrete reinforcing wire the way to go?
Thanks

I think the concrete reinforcing wire would be very good,
although hard to handle (to cut, especially).

We are using 'tomato cage wire' - this works, but requires
strong staking or the tomatoes will collapse the cage.

We bought it at a garden center/feed store type of place.
It's like welded wire fencing, but with larger openings so
you can put your hand through it and pull out a large
tomato.

I think that usually people who cage their tomatoes don't
bother to snip or prune them - I know I don't.

Pat