Old 13-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Butternut Squash

"Nick wrote in message
| Do the growing tips need to be pinched out?
|
| Didn't when I grew them and we got a superb crop. Ran everywhere

though.

I have never got anything. They are very iffy in the UK, as they
need a fairly hot summer - C. moschata needs one only slightly hotter
than C. maxima, but the UK is very borderline.

I was under that impression too Nick, but having saved some seed from a
Sainsbury's bought BS I planted them as per other cucurbits and they grew
well producing fruit exactly the same as is for sale at the supermarket.
The best one grew out of seed that had been in the compost bin; I plant all
cucurbits in a bin sized hole filled with compost and when the original
incumbent, a Marrow, died (Virus I think) the BS simply germinated from in
the compost and grew alarmingly producing 9 full sized fruit.
Best stored for 3 months before use to develop their flavour though, but
then that's the same for most cucurbits.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.