Old 13-05-2003, 10:32 PM
V_coerulea

Default Can I plant a Gardenia outside?

Gardenias are hardy here in zone 8b (near 8a) where they grow into 8-10'
bushes and you can smell them 1/4 miles away. But some varieties are not so
hardy. The hardiest are the large variety called 'Mystery' and the dwarf
radicans. But I know people in zone7 who have variable luck with these. I've
never heard of anyone growing them outdoors in zones 6 or less (I may be
wrong but I've never heard of it). They are notoriously suceptible to bark
split from freezing and thawing. Enjoy it indoors in the sunniest place
you've got.

"SBHCOM" wrote in message
I live in Michigan zone 5 and am not sure, the tag says I can but its from
Walmart so I want to be sure.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in

his
mouth.