Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Escallonia x exoniensis

Jim, from the pic at the Hortpix page, that looks like a cross from one
of the larger leaved varieties. I have one of these big ones in my
garden and haven't considered it for bonsai as it has larger sticky
leaves and short flowering season. There are some lovely smaller leaved
ones - half an inch rather than 2 or 3 inch. "Apple Blossom" is one of
these. I lifted an old beauty with craggy bark from a hedge planting and
have seen some very good bonsai examples. Tony Tickle had a very good
one. Take a look at
http://futureforests.net/br_he/page/...s_Apple_Blosso
m2.jpg
For an idea of the flowering.

They do tend to suffer from unpredictable branch abortion - even on
plants in the ground. This is always frustrating with bonsai but you may
avoid the problem on a small specimen.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

---