Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Joe Zorzin

Default Sample size for 10 BAF Prism?

Hey Joe Shmoe and LugNut- how about giving us your real names?
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

"LugNut" wrote in message
Where I was froming come is that I was always told to use 0.004 hectare
to represent the amount of ground area in a prism sweep as a rough and

dirty
number for a 2 BAF (metric) prism. I know that it will vary based on stem
diameters but I was wondering what the same rough and dirty number was for

10 BAF Imperial.

Cheers

LugNut

"Joe Shmoe" wrote in message
LugNut wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Acceptable sample size (ie number

of
plots required to achieve a required Standard Error) is not directly
related to the prism size. Ideally, you wouldn't choose a prism until

you
saw the size and number of stems in a stand.

And as for ground area represented by a prism, I really don't understand
the question. The plot radius of each tree is a function of the BAF and
the tree's diameter.

So, I guess I'm no help, I just felt like babbling

Joe

Hello

I am doing a point-in-polygon GIS analysis and need to know what would

be
the acceptable sample size (ground area) represented by a 10 BAF prism

(10
ft2 per acre) at each point.

Regards

LugNut