Old 13-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Frogleg

Default Can I plant a Gardenia outside?

On 13 May 2003 14:30:31 GMT, (SBHCOM) wrote:

I live in Michigan zone 5 and am not sure, the tag says I can but its from
Walmart so I want to be sure.

Not in zone 5. I have an 8' tall bush (restricting access to the
outdoor part of my A/C) against a west-facing brick wall in zone 8. In
one particularly harsh winter, it died down to the ground and came
back over the next couple of years, so it's marginal here. I know when
it's blooming by the scent wafting in the back door. If only the
wretched thing would space out its bloom time. Two blossoms a week all
summer would satisfy me, but nooo. It's gotta put out 200 in a 3-week
festival of bloom, and then retire to be a big, shiny-leaved bush 'til
next year.

I've no experience with this, but might it be possible to keep one in
a pot, put outdoors for the summer, and over-winter indoors?