Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Frogleg

Default advice needed for a beginner gardener

On 13 May 2003 08:10:49 -0700, (Goose) wrote:

i have never grown anything before in my life and am now trying to
grow some vegetables.

Gardening will grow on you. :-)

i bought a pack of carrot seeds. some of the jargon really confuse me.

at the back of the packet it states, "when seedlings have 3 leaves,
thin to stand 2 inches apart". the term "thin"...does that mean that i
have to slowly pull the seedlings from the earth and then transplant
them to another part?

Just wait 'til you encounter "last frost date" and "seed thinly (or
thickly)" Others have answered your questions quite nicely. Most
beginning veg gardeners start out with a tomato plant or 2. Very
rewarding to taste the difference between home-grown and supermarket
fruit. I never brought a carrot to maturity. The little 'uns are *so*
tasty. I "thin" 'til they're all gone! Tomatoes, peppers, and beans
are easy with plenty of web info. Herbs are very rewarding,
particularly the perennials. Although fresh basil is a great treat.
You're in for a good time, f'r sure. :-)