Old 14-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Elpaninaro

Default Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible

Bravo. I do believe you have have identified it correctly as Myrmecophilia
exaltata. These flowers were on the end of 6 foot spikes and the ants were
living in the hollowed out pseudobulbs as detailed in the genus description.

I agree.

As far as I know, about 15 years ago I was the first person to make a selfing
cross of exaltata to spread around (from a plant I got from Gene May who
collected a specimen on one of his trips) and this is exactly what it looked
like. I sent the flasks off to Bill Bergstrom when they became too much to
manage and that's all she wrote. He still has some for sale.

Nice plant. A lot of mine were not quite as intensely colored as yours.

Tom.