Old 14-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Natalie

Default Butternut Squash

" I was under that impression too Nick, but having saved some seed from a
Sainsbury's bought BS I planted them as per other cucurbits and they grew
well producing fruit exactly the same as is for sale at the supermarket.
The best one grew out of seed that had been in the compost bin; I plant

all
cucurbits in a bin sized hole filled with compost and when the original
incumbent, a Marrow, died (Virus I think) the BS simply germinated from in
the compost and grew alarmingly producing 9 full sized fruit.
Best stored for 3 months before use to develop their flavour though, but
then that's the same for most cucurbits.

Got my seeds from that source too ;-)

Currently they are all growing in individual pots but will plant some out as
soon as we've weeded a suitable area.

We are also growing tomatoes from a Sainsbury's tomato and peppers. The
object was for the children to see the food cycle.

Does anyone know why the green pepper seeds didn't germinate but the red
pepper ones did? Is because they were not ripe?

Natalie