Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 AM
anton

Default Besoms

Charles Thorpe wrote in message ...
On Tuesday 13 May 2003 15:35, Sydney wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

I regularly visit 'Jacks' in Colchester - a very old fashioned hardware
and
thingy - me - bob shop.
Last time I visited (4 weeks ago) - they were selling these (had one
hanging up outside).

Thanks, I'll have a trip to Colchester and give them a try.

Generally known as 'Cheapjacks' but in a nice way, not a
rude way. They're opposite the town centre entrance to
Castle Park, which contains the (originally Roman) castle
with which the Romans tried to persuade the local hard boys
to opt for a bit of Pax Romana. It failed to impress one
or two of the more excitable ladies of the region, though,
and got burnt by Boudicca.

It's also the castle from which Humpty Dumpty fell, btw.

--
Anton