Old 14-05-2003, 07:32 AM
drifter

Default Tree-killing chemical compound?

Isn't copper sulphate used to paint the bottom ob ocean going boats to
stop barnacles and growth from attaching to the bottom of the boat?

Arsenio Oloroso Jr. wrote:

I think that's what it is!!!

Somehow, the words "copper sulfate" have been rattling around in my
brain. But I wasn't sure that I didn't read those words in
connection with something else altogether (God knows what..). It's
highly effective on unwanted trees. The fact that your father used
to use it, along with my former neighbor/tree farmer--who was an
older gentleman--tells me that copper sulfate must be a gardening
remedy that was well-known in a previous generation but has not been
widely passed down to us today.

Now...does anyone know where I can get it?

Rob Smith wrote:

I believe Copper sulfate, will kill trees. But I'm not positive, so
look up
Copper Sulfate and see what the uses are. My father used to use it
to treat
his pond to kill the algae, I think?? I was just a kid.
I know this don't help alot but maybe it will get you going in the
right
direction.

P.S. If the tree is small, just dig it up. If it's too big then cut
it down
and burn the stump, fill the hole and tah-dah, you would never know
it was
there.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com

"Arsenio Oloroso Jr." wrote in message

I've got this silver maple sapling growing in my yard that I want
to get

rid

of. A number of years ago, a former neighbor who once owned a
christmas
tree farm in Wisconsin told me about a common chemical compound he
used to
kill unwanted trees. I've since forgotten the name of that
compound. Can
anyone here jar my memory?

The procedure, he said, is to cut a gash into the trunk of the
tree, smear
it with this chemical and then cover the gash by tying a rag
soaked in
vegetable oil around the trunk. In a few weeks, the tree dies.

I used this method once a long while ago, and it was very
effective.

Any leads are much appreciated.
Arsenio