Old 14-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default cleaning a 2nd hand glasshouse?

If it's aluminium, you might want to borrow or hire a high pressure washer.
I used one to clear up a similar second hand greenhouse.

For the glass, I cleaned it once (do NOT direct the jet straight at the
glass, hold at an angle so the water "chisels" across the glass), then used
a "razor/stanley blade paint scraper" to remove the stubborn filth and then
cleaned once more.

For the frame, the pressure washer was all I needed.

FYI, make sure you fix the greenhouse down to the ground FIRMLY. I laid a
concrete surround, sat mine on top and it blew sideways about a foot in high
winds (blew "across" the top of the concrete). It's now bolted firmly to
the concrete :-).

You can get various greenhouse spares such as "glass/frame beading" from
www.twowests.co.uk or B&Q spares fit most greehouses. You local glass
merchant will carry common greenhouse glass sizes (2x2, 2x1.5 etc) pre-cut.

Enjoy,
Paul DS.

"shannie" wrote in message

Hi All,
Some weeks ago someone on a thread here advised someone else to put an add
up for a glasshouse as people are happy to be rid of unwanted ones
(something I never realised!) I did that last week and went today to see
one, it's 8 x 6 and just what I'd like as a starter . It's in great
condition has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey its
free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as

storage space for a couple of years, mould on the glass etc. Can anyone
advise me on what to use to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid?
Bleach? Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

Once again, thanks for your patience.
Shan (Ireland)