Old 14-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default greenfly

In article ,
Anthony E Anson writes:

| But I can't see our differences being resolved without the application
| of Very Hard Sums.

They are actually Very Easy Sums - at least for a mathematician.
So easy that they cound as mental arithmetic exercises, in fact.

| Remember that even direct sun at midsummer in the UK is rarely more
| than 50% of the earth's insolation, and it is common for it to drop
| to 10% or less even on bright days. Yes, we really DO get that
| little sunlight here, largely because of the amount and wetness of
| the atmosphere that the light has to travel through.
|
| Ah, but perhaps I have the advantage here, having lived in the North
| West of Scotland, and where my occupatin has taken me to altitudes of
| over 3,000 feet, where minute droplets of water are rather more common
| than is desirable for personal comfort.

The water does seem to have got places that it shouldn't. Yes,
this country has plenty of water droplets, though not all that often
the sort that settle individually on leaves that are not moving.
Even a very light wind will prevent the focus remaining in one
place.

But where on EARTH did you get the idea from that the north west of
Scotland gets strong sun on a regular basis?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.