Old 14-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Drakanthus

Default Would you buy these transgenic plants?

I would be interested BUT only if these plants were also made sterile, as
all GM plants should be. (yes it precludes any fruiting plants)
Sweetcorn has to be the most dangerous plant to try GM on and is an
indication of the stupidity of the scientists/bean counters involved.
With sterility there is no chance of a cross escaping into the real world.
The thought that it may be my plant that contaminates the world is
horrendous.

--
Bob

Assuming of course that such sterile plants remained 100% sterile. I very
much doubt that would be the case in reality. To quote someone from the film
Jurassic Park "Nature will find a way". Either through chance mutation or
viruses swapping bits of DNA about (as they do from time to time with their
hosts) or even just down to human error.

The worst case scenario in my opinion is not a dodgy sweetcorn but something
on the virus level. Suppose a virus was created (for whatever reason) that
had the ability to spread as easily as the common cold, but was as more
lethal than HIV. The entire human population of the planet could be wiped
out in a matter of months.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)