Old 14-05-2003, 02:56 PM
lms

Default A veritable riot of color

In article ,
says...

On 13 May 2003 13:05:59 GMT,
(lms) wrote:

Ford would get worked if Chevy came up with the Desert Ford, there is
little difference in the two concepts.

But would Ford get worked up if Ford came up with the Desert Ford?

ok. bad example. anyone who could call a Fairmont a Thunderbird...
they have no shame.
The timing of that rose just irked me, that's all. There was no desert peace.
One of my first roses was actually a ripoff of the name Peace, Pink Peace.
It's only half Peace, and is actually such a fab rose I can't even begin to
tell you. Hugely fragrant, big, very shapely. I planted my third one three
years ago, it's finally coming around to like the first one. The second one
has a punishing exposed location, it gets all the wind that's fit to blow, cold
and hot, so it's never had the best chance to measure up. Doesn't have 'give
up' in its vocab though. I've been contemplating moving the first one but
anything that's still doing reasonably well after 15 years despite major
encroachment I hesitate to mess with. I killed Elina last year moving it
and I'm still kicking myself itb. But still I don't much wait, I just go for
it.

You see, Meilland is responsible for *both* roses, if not the name.

Ever since the old man died that place has gone downhill--took over by his
beautiful wife who hired others to do the job. A similar thing could happen
to a famous mini place if they're not careful.

So your analogy breaks down right there.

my analogy may suck but that rose is still left with its dethpicable george
bush connection. they lie. If this rose had some real and believable
connection to the desert, where it's peaceful, maybe that would be different.
But it doesn't. They don't care about me. hahahaha
I wouldn't buy this rose unless it had a killer bloom on it, that's what it
would take.

I'm aware also that the car companies
get promiscuous with their names and I don't like that either. The irk

factor
rates right up there with Isuzu Rodeo or Hyundai Santa Fe. maybe Toyota
Tacoma.

Car names is another thing that rarely crosses my transom. I drive an
Escort ZX2. It doesn't bother me that it links me with a sexy black
purring creature that I have to pay for monthly. My Volvo is close
enough to certain anatomy to make me occasionally chuckle about it,

so does my friend, he says it outloud sometimes. He rear-ended somebody
on I-25 once with it.
Nobody parks their car in the right lane, no?

and of course, we know about the sage of GM's Vega, which had to be
renamed in Latin American countries since Vega literally translated
from the Spanish is "No Go".

Otherwise, I don't worry about what a Tiberon is - is it akin to a
Tarkus or something?

i.e., Peace or its true clone Chicago Peace have never been improved upon,

To be honest, every Peace I've ever seen has been a boring large
somewhat floppy blossom. I would never bother with one.

you've been sadly deprived, dweil:

http://www.badurl

sorry Dave, I had to deprive you for just a moment longer. heheh

"The URL you typed does not exist. Please check that you typed your
URL correctly".

and it's a drag, this is the one I wanted you to see.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Deeppeac.jpg

I once had a crotchety old fart who'd seen as many roses as anyone on the
planet express hearty skepticism at this pic. That it was Peace. But I
swear on a stack it came from the same bush.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Deepea99.jpg

That looks OK. Not bad for a rose at its peak. However, it doesn't do
very much for me - sorry. I hope you don't mind that my tastes are a
little different than yours.

I *did* see a Chicago Peace yesterday at WalMart yesterday and it was
OK as well. Just OK. Whenever I see Peace at a show, it's about the
largest bloom there. It's also quite a bit paler by that point. I
could almost tolerate the one that you show.

This rose never really did the thriller thing til it got some size,
got well established. Then it would just pop these huge things, huge
perfect hybrid tea blooms, did that for years. Then we enclosed the
front patio/porch, and growing as a threesome with Mr. Lincoln and a white
lilac, which is huge, it only had one place to go. And I took it away, had to.
Other than the three thousand bucks that rose was the price I paid. It can
still escape, the other day I looked down and saw this huge new basal.
There's still a lot of stored energy in those roots. Don't really know what to
do about it.

To be honest, I'd never ask more of any rose than either. I've seen it

white,
I've seen it every shade of yellow with every shade of vivid red infused.
And believe it or not--and this is an extremely rare occurrence--I've before
been fairly overpowered by just the truest rose fragrance imaginable.
It *all depends on the conditions. And of course, how happy it is. I was
truly blessed to know this rose.

That's fine. You won't find me saying that you're deprived for not
liking Desert Peace or it's ilk. BTW, that particular bloom had a
really nice fragrance as well. And it ended up doing the Peace thing
and getting huge and growing wings as well. Here it is right before I
took the bloom:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...esertPeace.jpg

You might want to rename it Vomitorium...

nice colors, vivid. kinda like Harry.

I've never seen Chicago Peace, mind you...

Another happy 10 or 12 foot giant with major girth. Always vivid colors.
Peace itself can do all the colors of Chicago Peace but Chicago Peace doesn't
do solid colors, it's pretty much that simple.

For me, 10 and 12 foot hybrid teas are *not* my cup of tea. I have a
Papa Meilland that's too tall for me and it's only 7 feet tall. You
see, I get deprived by having the blooms too high to be viewed
properly.

'properly', that's a good word. I subscribe to the philosophy that the rose
knows what that is. I'm a firm believer in letting roses be all they can
be--most of them will stop growing up once they reach their height

Now a 10 - 12 foot climber - that's a different story. Or a 10 -12
foot hedge - no problems there.

You obviously subscribe to the "bigger is better" philospohy. That's
cool. shrug

no I don't think bigger is better--out of maybe 250 roses currently living
their lives out here, a great many are smaller units, know nothing about
sky city. I don't hold it against them, admire them just the same. I just
don't think, for instance, that people should plant Queen Elizabeth unless
they want a 17 foot rose. And like that.

You should get Touch of Class if you don't have one already. Huge
colorful blooms and a big framework. Mine's about 9 1/2 feet tall.
It's also not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination but you
might like it. 6 1/2 inch salmonesque blooms. Hardly any scent though.

another 'one of my firsts', similar height, still doing its thing and I
agree. One that complements this one well is Sheer Elegance, will do the
same thing for you. Not as big a bush, pretty hardy.

For me, the name is almost superfluous, although I understand that it
has some sort of connotation. Most of the names don't mean much to me.
I've have no idea what kind of person Cecile Brunner was and I have no
idea how Belami relates to a tightly spiraled pink rose with a
fabulously refereshing fragrance.

this is all true. what I don't know won't keep me from buying a rose though.
I guess it's just as well. I probably have roses named after some real
loosers. or whatever.

And if Touch of Class is what class is all about, then I'll have to
start demanding that my women wear the gaudiest makeup possible and
always make sure that they are at least 42dd and that part of their
bra *always* shows.

heh