Old 14-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Dave Allyn

Default advice needed for a beginner gardener

beginning veg gardeners start out with a tomato plant or 2. Very
rewarding to taste the difference between home-grown and supermarket
fruit. I never brought a carrot to maturity. The little 'uns are *so*
tasty. I "thin" 'til they're all gone! Tomatoes, peppers, and beans
are easy with plenty of web info. Herbs are very rewarding,
particularly the perennials. Although fresh basil is a great treat.
You're in for a good time, f'r sure. :-)

I agree on the tomatos.. there is a huge differance... however.. a
word of advice:

plan your garden BEFORE getting the plants.... I didn't, and now I
have too much stuff... "hey, this looks good! so does this!! wow!
this would be fun to grow!!" didn't get some of the zuccini plants
in because of space constraints...

Never had any luck with carrots... maybe I'll try again next year...

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!