Old 14-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Dividing new bamboo plant

The message
from contains these words:

I have just done this with part of our p. nigra that I have separated
from the main clump and dug out (not an easy job in itself). However,
I am not hopeful of success as I think I let the roots dry out too
much. After I had done it I looked it up on a US bamboo site and they
warned that you must NEVER let the roots dry out when dividing bamboo.

If they do all take, I would have about ten new plants, which I would
be tempted to grow on in pots, having seen what their parent had been
up to underground! (The same US bamboo site (I think - don't recall
where, but I would have found it with Google - suggested digging deep
trenches all round bamboos and filling them with concrete to restrict
the spread.)

Is p. nigra a thug then ? I'm about to plant one :-) Anyother tips
appreciated.

Janet