Old 14-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Butternut Squash

In article , Andy Spragg
writes
"Jayne" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 14 May 2003 09:53:05 +0000 (UTC), and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ You should try them roasted - cut them lengthways into 4, scoop out the
^ seeds, sprinkle with olive oil & roast at 180C for about 1/2 hour or so.

You mean naked? (Yes, the squash, not the chef). Only I'm still trying
to do one at the moment - I cut it in half to deseed it, filled the
little cavity with a few sliced fried mushrooms, reassembled and
wrapped it in silver foil, and put it in the oven in a dish at 180C...

45 minutes later, it's hot, but still completely uncooked.

^ Delicious with lamb dishes. Also great on the BBQ - cut in half, de-seed,
^ oil & season (you can stuff them with tomatoes etc if you like), wrap in
^ foil & bake.

Breaking news - After 2 and a quarter hours, it was definitely cooked.
Over-cooked, actually. But not terribly overcooked. So I reckon maybe
an hour and a half compared to your half an hour. Hard to believe that
the difference in the two ways of presenting the squash in the oven
can account for a factor of three in cooking time - did you really
mean half an hour?

I find wrapping in foil really lengthens cooking time. That and
reassembling it, and adding the margin of error associated with the
words 'or so' and you could easily turn half an hour into an hour and a
half!

And maybe your squash was bigger than hers ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: