Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Lee Brouillet

Default What I seen today?!

Sacha, sometimes we don't respond immediately because we don't know what the
answer is. I can offer a suggestion: many snails have a pinkish goo they lay
their eggs in. (Apple Snails will deposit their eggs above the water line:
they stick a tube out above the water onto the rocks or whatever, and
deposit the eggs there, usually at night. You come out the next morning and
would SWEAR that someone had stuck pink bubblegum onto your rocks, like you
used to stick your gum under your desk at school! c'mon now, I KNOW you did
G!) Your "stuff" is not Apple Snail eggs, but they may be other snail
eggs.

FWIW, be careful what you wish for: spawning is a mess, the babies are
oh-so-cute, and the decision regarding their disposal when you have far too
many for your pond to support is agonizing. When they spawn, you will know
it without a doubt: the water will have a milky foam on it and it will stink
to high heaven. Your plants will be torn up and the pond will be a wreck.
You'll have to do a 50% water change or so to keep the ammonia in check, and
watch the ammonia levels like a hawk for a few days.

Keep the faith: just like teenagers, you won't be able to stop them once
they get old enough!!!

Lee

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
I was feeding my koi's and I looked into the water and seen this pinkess

mucus,
seman stuff a little bit not alot floating up to the surface.I checked my

fish
and didn't see any wounds on them. So is this what I am thinking of?? Are

they
starting to mature and spawn??

Thanks,

Sacha