Old 15-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Meadows

Default Early Report from the Tomato Patch

On 14 May 2003 17:25:02 -0700, (Lee Hall)
wrote:

I think I should be on track for my average first ripe tomato date of
Jun 4 but the storm has probably lowered my early production
considerably. I hope some of you will post so I can see how your
tomato plants are growing. I will try to post again every month or
so. It has certainly been an interesting growing season so far.

Our theoretical last killing frost date (Pennsylvania's
Northern Tier, and in the mountains) is still two weeks into
the future, so most of my tomato plants are still indoors -
in 6" pots. They are being taken out to the front porch
each day for sun and air, and brought in at night. They're
growing way too fast though, and I may have to plant them
out this week-end in WalloWaters.

One of my Early Girls was planted out in a WalloWater two
weeks ago, and another Early Girl was planted out in a
WalloWater one week ago.

It's been very cold here the last two weeks and very damp -
really almost no sunshine. The Early Girls outdoors in
their WalloWaters are beginning to get mold on the top of
the soil (all that cold dampness, no sun). I'll have to
remove the WalloWaters in the daytimes and put them back at
night.

My Red Robins (miniature tomatoes) in 6" pots are thriving,
lots of blossoms.

Pat