Old 15-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Victoria Clare

Default blue flowering perennial melon tree

Victoria Clare wrote in
. 240.10:

Further to my original post, I have now found an authoritative-looking page
about this solanum: the most used common name of which appears to be pepino
dulce:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

I've also found a bunch of people commenting on flavour and culture (google
groups search on pepino dulce).

People's experience of the plant and fruit seems to be varied: some people
say they have had flavourless mushy ones (but then, I've had pears and
mangos like that from supermarkets occasionally) and others say the flavour
is great. I deduce that there are a number of cultivars and ripeness
probably makes a difference too.

Flowers also seem to vary a lot in colour and size.

In terms of height, most people seem to think they are comparable with
tomatoes, and at least one variety can be grown in a hanging basket. The
fruit apparently vary from tomato-sized to 6-inch monsters.

I can't find anywhere else selling any variety in, or to, the UK, so I
think I'll give the offer I saw a go, and see what I end up with.

If they are really hardy to -2, I *might* even just get away with one
outside against my sunny wall (already populated by a fig and my beloved
pomegranite bush).

Victoria