Old 15-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Malcolm

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:24:05 GMT, "Michelle Fulton"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news:f3cdf9dde3cec80908c88c978bc18fd8@TeraNews. ..

That's naive in the least. So you think the sprayer should be masked
and protected up to the hilt when spraying it, yet cannot see the
effect of those toxins once it has been sprayed, some of which stay
around for a year or more?

Probably a bit of naivety involved, but I think there is more danger
inhaling the stuff, and I'm not really sure how much of it ends up on my
dinner plate, what with rain, factory washing, me washing and the plant
enzymes destroying it.....

That's great, you know the facts, and you base your decision on that.

This is all we ask, the chance for us all to do the same. We are being
pumped full of this junk, which big business claims is safe, don't
worry, yet many of us do have genuine concerns.

Principal is the same. If an organic farm can get away without
glyphosate, why cant everyone else? I find it amazing you know full
well the consequence of spraying your food, and don't, yet you think
it's OK for old farmer giles to spray it on the nations food?

But the organic farmers *have* to charge more for their produce because it
costs them more to generate it and they suffer more loss due to insects and
such. If the majority of the public were ready to pay more for their food,
the supermarkets would stock a majority of organics. The ratios are
probably a bit different in the UK, because the public seems to be more
environmentally conscious than in the US, but our supermarkets set aside
maybe 2 percent of their space for organics, if they have any at all. Lots
of stores don't even carry organics because, when the public sees
conventional potatoes at 0.49 per pound, right next to organic 1.49 per
pound, they are most often going to pick the conventional because of the
price.

No doubt about it. Rome wasn't built in a day, this is why we need
education about what we buy. The price difference is nowhere near that
great in my local Sainsbury, 2.5kg Maris Piper (cheapis) £1.22
organic £1.39! this is what I am saying, for me, organics really is
hardly much different from usual. OK so if you always buy the cheapest
of the cheap and really don't care about where or how it arrived, you
cannot compete, but if you were a bit more discerning about what you
buy, the difference in price is not actually that great.

So you should, I would recommend a good soaking prior to washing.
Washing is not just run it under the tap for a few seconds.

Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Do bad things leach out in a cold water soak?

I doubt it, but the crap that is on the skin will have more of a
chance to be got rid of.

There have been many studies, hence we have the current scares over
carrots, lettuce toxicity etc.

Hadn't heard about it. Do you, by chance, know where I can find objective
info on the subject?

www.google.com is brilliant for anything and everything you care to
research. I think it was the FSA who recently announced concerns about
lettuce and carrots again in the UK..

The rise in allergies etc is more than likely a direct result of all
the crap we are eating. Who, 50 years ago heard of nut allergies?

I assume they just didn't know what was killing the people... Do they use a
different chemicals on peanuts than on every other plant? Why would people
become allergic to peanuts and not other plants? I agree that pollution, in
general, may aggravate allergies, but I believe the increase in allergies
has more to do with the sterilization of our life styles and the over use of
anti-biotics.

But many of us go through life without touching anti biotic, we all
eat sprayed crops!

Our immune systems just don't have the opportunities to
develop the way they used to, ergo people get sick from things they didn't
used to....

That's OK assuming you have been through the run of anti biotic etc,
many of us haven't and still get ill, the commonest factor is
pesticides and herbicides, we cannot get away from them.

--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.