Old 15-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

Default Would you buy these transgenic plants?

In article opro7ryonawxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes

Absolutely. But the places these GMOs are likely to be used is on
agricultural land. Not really a natural environment is it.

"We've started to mess things up, so let's finish the job", do you mean?

The critical part is not whether it's natural or not, but whether it is
contained. And agricultural land is not - what you do there can easily
escape to the surrounding land, whether that be more agricultural land,
gardens or whatever.

And compared to the effects man has had on the environment, even in places
that are called "natural" and "wild", the effects may be negligable.
I don't mean pollution or global warming. Nearly all the land in the UK is
or has been intensively managed at one time or other. Places we call
"natural" are nearly all man-made. Probably the most "natural" part of the
country is the stagnant rock pool just below high tide.

I'm not sure 'stagnant' is the appropriate word for a pool receiving an
influx of sea water twice a day.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: