Old 15-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Kase

Default "First Frosts"

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Jayne" wrote in message
I often see it recommended that plants are brought indoors before

the first
frosts - could somebody tell me approx. when that would be?

Jayne (who hasn't been a UK gardener for long!)

Well when you need to wear a vest, the central heating turned up and
scraping ice of the car in the morning :~))))
Jenny

If you're scraping ice off the car in the morning then you're way too late
for the first frosts, you've probably had snow by that point!! Eeek!

Here near Manchester, and my home town of Barnsley, start watching the
weather forecasts after the start of September. Even if the days are still
warm, the first night of temperatures below 4C and you will probably see a
frost. Too late and your dahlias will turn black so you'll know to lift
them.