Old 15-05-2003, 11:08 PM
animaux

Default Basil and the Texas heat....

Basil does perfectly well in full sun, in Texas. It is a Mediterranean native,
so does great in baking, dry heat. I grew several types of basil up in Dallas,
when we lived there. Keep the flowers nipped off to encourage foliage to keep
coming and harvest the morning after you've watered it. Do not water it, then
harvest immediately. The flavor will not be as strong. Italian basil is the
best culinary basil. Many others are available and I've grown those for
ornamental value.

On Thu, 15 May 2003 20:30:54 GMT, "Michelle Fulton"
wrote:

Hi, all :-) I'm new to the group, from Fort Worth and have a question. I
decided, yesterday, to plant some basil so I would have a constant supply of
fresh basil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Now I'm not sure how best
to harvest it and keep the plants healthy and growing. Also, I know when
that little tag says "full-sun" it doesn't usually take into account *our*
full-sun. What really is the best sun condition for basil in Texas?

I'm sure someone here has some good tips for me.
Thanks, in advance, for any help :-)